Friday, April 8, 2011

Dearest Bernina...

My dear Bernina,

My darling, I hereby publish this tale of shame as penance for my recent unfaithful dalliance with Singer. You know you have always been #1 in my book, but I was enticed by the decorative stitches. THE DECORATIVE STITCHES!! I know, I should not have faltered, but it was only $120, and I thought, "If Martha (Stewart) endorses it, AND it's at Costco, it can't be too bad, right?" I should have known better; I should have realized that cheap generally means cheap. Ryan tried to tell me, but the temptation, oh the temptation! It was too great.

I have to admit, I could tell the quality was sub par as soon as I lifted her out of the box, but in my fever for the blanket stitch I threw caution to the wind and ignored my intuition. (Besides, it was only $120; one has to expect plastic, right?) We began. I sewed. Hit a small snag. Not a big one, I could deal with that. Oh, and another. But wait! what was that spot? Surely not oil. No, just on the underside, a good cleaning and we were off again. Oh! huge tangle of thread on the underside; the tension hasn't changed here, what's the issue? Set the stitch. Start again. We are almost done, just one more applique to sew..and...yes...almost there...and...it dies. What. What? What?! Well, I guess I should have known better. Burned by the Singer. Fickle plastic with unsupportable promises.

And now I am left with shame and regret. But I publicly renounce her. She is out of my life now, Bernina; I returned her and everything. I don't even look at her in the store as I pass by anymore. I am no longer tempted by her promises of decorative utopia. And I make you this promise: I will remain faithful and pledge to exercise patience for the day that I can afford your decorative stitches. Only Bernina for me from now until forever. Just don't sell out, my sweet and go plastic. One day, one day, you will be mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment