Friday, February 4, 2011

Holiday Eats

So one of my goals this year is to have more fun with my kids. So I started by making all of the remembrance days official celebrations in our house. Martin Luther King, Jr Day saw us eating pork chops and mashed potatoes (my version of Southern fare) and discussing civil rights. It was interesting to see what the kids knew, thought they knew, and what was new information. It was a good discussion.


We also celebrated Groundhog Day with mashed potatoes (I didn't recognize this trend before...). I served meatball "groundhogs" sitting atop a mashed potato mound, decorated with a shaped butter flower.

Huh. I guess when one is hoping for molded meat end products one should make sure one uses very lean meat, so the sculpture doesn't shrivel into unrecognizable blobs. Oh well. Hopefully my garnishing skills will improve with practice...


For dessert, we ate the shadows that Puxatawney Phil missed. No one criticized this food choice, I tell you what!

We sort of missed Chinese New Year, which makes me sad because I love Chinese food, but then I remembered 1) Eating out is not in the budget and 2) I don't know how to make Chinese food, except for wontons and possibly egg rolls. So we are going to have our festivities tomorrow, with Hawaiian Haystacks that are topped with chow mien noodles. Hey, the decorations will be cool...maybe...yay, Year of the Rabbit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment